The University of Toronto (U of T) has been recognized as one of Greater Toronto’s Top Employers for the 16th consecutive year – every year since the award’s inception.
The Greater Toronto’s Top Employers competition is an annual editorial project that recognizes employers with exceptional human resources programs and forward thinking workplace policies. Editors at Mediacorp evaluate employers on eight criteria: (1) Physical Workplace; (2) Work Atmosphere & Social; (3) Health, Financial & Family Benefits; (4) Vacation & Time-Off; (5) Employee Communications; (6) Performance Management; (7) Training & Skills Development; and (8) Community Involvement.
Winners were announced on December 3, 2021 in a Greater Toronto’s Top Employers magazine, published by the Globe and Mail. Some of the reasons for U of T’s selection for the 2022 award include:
- Our extraordinary pandemic response – U of T offered a supplementary top-up to the CERB benefit for employees who were laid off due to COVID-19, quickly transitioned to remote work and provided over a quarter of a million reusable masks to employees and students.
- Our commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion which includes mandatory anti-discrimination and anti-bias training for HR professionals, and training offered on a variety of topics such as accessibility, Indigenous cultural competency, unconscious bias, gender identity and gender expression.
- Our in-house training, career-planning, skills development and associated tuition subsidies.
- Our support for families with generous maternity and parental leave top-up payments, access to a wide range of resources through a dedicated Family Care Office, and multiple child-care options across all three campuses.
- The variety of ways in which we recognize and celebrate employee performance, from the True Blue platform to teaching awards and long-service awards.
For more information on the reasons for selection, visit U of T’s Top Employer page.
U of T honoured as one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers for 2022
In November, U of T was also named as one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers for the 15th year.
Canada’s Top 100 Employers are chosen annually by Mediacorp Canada Inc. in a national competition to determine which employers lead their industries in offering exceptional workplaces for their employees.