Sept. 22, 2021 The Division of Human Resources & Equity is now called the Division of People Strategy, Equity & Culture.

Impact of Temporary Travel Restrictions Resulting from COVID-19

As many of you are aware, the federal government has imposed travel restrictions impacting foreign nationals in Canada and those intending to travel to Canada as part of its efforts to manage the COVID19 pandemic. We continue to monitor developments in this area and are assessing the impact of these restrictions on our community.

If you are considering inviting a foreign national to come to one of our campuses on a work permit, please ensure you first seek advice from the applicable immigration support unit.

We are awaiting confirmation from the government as to the impact of these restrictions on individuals who intend to apply for work permits and other travel documentation during the restriction period, for example, newly hired faculty members.

In addition to implementing an official global travel advisory requesting Canadians to avoid nonessential travel, the government has restricted entry into Canada for US citizens for 30 days effective March 21, 2020, and for all other foreign nationals until June 30, 2020. Categories of individuals allowed to enter Canada include:

  • Canadian citizens
  • Permanent residents
  • Immediate family members of Canadian citizens or permanent residents (i.e. dependent children, or spouse)
  • Individuals providing essential services from the United States
  • Individuals already holding valid work or study permits

Visitors, including tourists and individuals intending to visit the University outside of a formal work arrangement, will NOT be allowed into Canada at this time.

The government has also issued a series of travel advisories in relation to the management of the COVID-19 situation. All U of T employees are encouraged to review travel advisory information, and, for those who are not Canadian citizens or permanent residents, to contact the applicable consulate prior to travelling outside of Canada.