- September 21, 2007
- PDAD&C; Professional and Managerial Staff; Divisional HR Offices
- Christina Sass-Kortsak, Assistant Vice-President, Human Resources
- Ontario Provincial Election 2007
In the forthcoming Ontario Provincial Election on Wednesday, October 10, 2007, voting hours will run from 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.
Under Section 6 of the Election Act:
“(3) Every employee who is qualified to vote shall, while the polls are open on polling day at an election, have three consecutive hours for the purpose of voting and, if the hours of his or her employment do not allow for three consecutive hours, the employee may request that his or her employer allow such additional time for voting as may be necessary to provide those three consecutive hours and the employer shall grant the request.
(4) No employer shall make any deduction from the pay of any employee or impose upon or exact from the employee any penalty by reason of his or her absence from work during the consecutive hours that the employer is required to allow under subsection (3).
(5) Any time off for voting as provided in subsection (3) shall be granted at the time of day that best suits the convenience of the employer.”
Would you please ensure throughout your division that all employees whose normal work schedule would not allow them the three consecutive hours as outlined above are excused from work at an appropriate time in order to comply with the Act. For the majority of employees whose normal work day ends at 5:00 p.m., no time off is required.