The University of Toronto commissioned a Presidential, Provostial, and Vice-Presidential Working Group to review programming, activities, processes, and practices in place at the institution and make recommendations to support the University’s response to antisemitism.
The Antisemitism Working Group was planned in early 2020 and began its work in December 2020 as part of the University of Toronto’s commitment to addressing forms of racism and discrimination faced by members of its community.
Antisemitism Working Group Reflection
Learn about the progress our community has made in addressing the recommendations of the Antisemitism Working Group Report since its entrustment to the University in 2022.
Antisemitism Working Group Final Report FAQs
March 23, 2022
This FAQ addresses several significant misunderstandings of the Report of the UofT Antisemitism Working Group (ASWG).
Antisemitism Working Group Final Report
December 8, 2021
In its report, the Antisemitism Working Group delivered 8 recommendations which address antisemitic racism and antisemitic religious discrimination, as well as definitions of antisemitism, the relation between academic freedom and inclusion in a university setting, religious observance accommodations and the provision of kosher food on campus.
Terms of Reference
Members of the Antisemitism Working Group will:
- Consult members of the University community, including students, faculty, librarians, and staff about how to create an inclusive environment where Jewish members of our community feel welcome and respected.
- Examine best practices at other research-intensive universities for combatting antisemitism.
- Develop an inventory of existing institutional and divisional initiatives that address antisemitism.
- Recommend actions that equity offices and other University offices on all three campuses can take to improve education about antisemitism and responses to antisemitic incidents.
- Review the University’s existing policies to determine whether existing policy tools are appropriate for dealing with issues of antisemitism.
- Propose new programs and initiatives to eliminate antisemitism on campus.
- Present a final report to the President, the Vice-President and Provost, and the Vice-President, Human Resources and Equity.
Working Group Membership
Chair of the Antisemitism Working Group:
- Arthur Ripstein
University Professor, Faculty of Law and Department of Philosophy, Faculty of Arts & Science