Visiting graduate and undergraduate students who come to the University of Toronto as direct research award recipients, self-funded researchers, or to complete a placement will require authorization to work under Canadian immigration law. In the event that a work permit is needed, please note that most work permits require a labour market impact assessment (LMIA). However, the following workers are exempt from an LMIA:
- Graduate students who are direct research award recipients
- Non-international visiting graduate students from another institution who are completing a placement at U of T
- Undergraduate students who are direct research award recipients
- Undergraduate students from another institution who are completing a placement at U of T
- Medical graduates who are completing a residency or fellowship at the University of Toronto
Should you fall in any of the above categories, you may need a study permit OR a work permit. If it is determined that you need a work permit, kindly contact the relevant faculty member responsible for your hiring.