Back to Immigration

Working in Canada

Work permits

Staff who come to the University of Toronto as foreign nationals require work permits under Canadian immigration law.

Once the recruitment process has been completed, the department or faculty will submit the necessary documentation to the appropriate HR Divisional Office to start the immigration process.

In order to get a work permit for working in Canada, foreign nationals will need a positive Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) from Employment and Social Development Canada. However, some types of work are exempt from an LMIA, provided the individual meets the requirements listed.

More details can be found on the Citizenship & Immigration Canada website.

If the type of work in Canada is exempt from obtaining an LMIA, foreign nationals will need an Offer of Employment Form in support of their application for a work permit.

Who needs an Labour Market Impact Assessment?

Any foreign national appointed to a full-time continuing staff position, a research associate or senior research associate position, except American or Mexican citizens

Who is Labour Market Impact Assessment exempt?

  • Self-funded research: research associates, or postdoctoral fellows
  • Direct research award recipients: research associates, or postdoctoral fellows
  • Postdoctoral fellows (CUPE 3902, Unit 5) funded by internal monies
  • Postdoctoral fellows (independent academic trainees) funded by external monies
  • NAFTA professionals

Accompanying family members

While we strive to provide the best service possible, the University does not provide immigration advice to accompanying family members of Post-doctoral Fellows, Research Associates, and administrative staff. However, we may be able to point you in the right direction. Please contact HR for more information.