Back to Immigration

Teaching and research in Canada

Work permits

Faculty who come to the University of Toronto as foreign nationals require work permits under Canadian immigration law.

Once the recruitment process (or in the case of students, placement or training arrangement) has been completed, the department or faculty will submit the necessary documentation to the appropriate HR Divisional Office to start the immigration process.

In order to get a work permit for working in Canada, foreign nationals will need a positive Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) from Employment and Social Development Canada. However, some types of work are exempt from an LMIA, provided the individual meets the requirements listed.

More details can be found on the Citizenship & Immigration Canada website.

If the type of work in Canada is exempt from obtaining an LMIA, foreign nationals will need an Offer of Employment Form in support of their application for a work permit.

Who needs an Labour Market Impact Assessment?

Any foreign faculty appointed to a full-time continuing faculty position at the University of Toronto, except American or Mexican citizens.

Who is Labour Market Impact Assessment exempt?

  • Any American or Mexican citizen appointed to a full-time continuing faculty position as per North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA).
  • Senior faculty appointed to a full-time continuing faculty position under the Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program
  • Visiting professor with a term of less than two years, who holds a permanent faculty position at another institution
  • Guest lecturer of more than five days and less than one academic term
  • Faculty who are direct research award recipients