Established in 2013, the Simcoe Hall Vice-Presidential (SVP) Staff Award recognizes outstanding contributions by staff (Confidential, Unionized, or Professional & Managerial at any level) who work in service of the President’s Office, the Division of the Vice-President & Provost, a Vice-Presidential Division (where the Vice-President is a member of Simcoe Hall Vice-Presidents), or the Office of the Governing Council.
Recipients of the SVP Staff Award demonstrate outstanding leadership advancing the University’s mission and / or exceptional service to enhance the University experience for students, faculty, librarians and / or staff.
The SVP Staff Award assesses an individual’s contributions in one or more of the following areas. The impact of their contribution(s) should be measurable and extend beyond the nominee’s respective Division or Office to the broader University community. These accomplishments can be recent or demonstrated throughout the nominee’s career.
Recognizes an individual who has made an outstanding contribution to their Division or the broader University by achieving a milestone accomplishment. Accomplishments could include completing an innovative initiative or undertaking substantial work that involved significant effort and complexity and which set a standard upon which the University can model future endeavours.
Sustained Service of Excellence
Recognizes an individual with exemplary service to the University and who is held in high regard by colleagues and peers in areas core to the University’s values, including excellence, service orientation, citizenship, professionalism, collegiality, integrity, and innovation.
Leads with Equity & Inclusion
Recognizes an individual who consistently demonstrates their commitment to integrating the principles of equity, diversity, and inclusion into their leadership activities and who is committed to creating an inclusive culture and a sense of belonging for their teams and the broader University community. Nominees must be highly regarded for sponsoring and advancing EDI initiatives that challenge our systems, disrupt our processes, and create equitable practices within their Division or across the institution.
Recognizes an individual who possesses an uplifting and encouraging demeanour and contributes to positive team morale. Nominees inspire their peers by example, and their presence on a team invigorates their colleagues to work harder, smarter, and more resiliently to achieve their goals.
Any employee or supervisor can nominate a staff member for an SVP Staff Award. Self-nominations are not accepted.
Staff members are only eligible to receive a Simcoe Hall Vice-Presidential Staff Award once in their career.
- Be administrative staff (Confidential, Unionized, or Professional & Managerial at any level) who currently works in service of the President’s Office, the Division of the Vice-President & Provost, a Vice-Presidential Division (where the Vice-President is a member of Simcoe Hall Vice-Presidents), or the Office of Governing Council;
- Be in good standing and be in active status at the University at the time nominations close; and
- Have worked at U of T for three (3) years or more by the nomination deadline.
The 2022 SVP Awards will consider the nominee’s efforts and accomplishments up until March 31, 2022.
The Nomination Process
Nominations for the 2022 SVP Staff Awards opened on March 28, 2022.
Nominations should describe in detail the specific contribution(s) that an individual has made in relation to one or more of the assessment criteria listed above.
A complete nomination package for the SVP Staff Awards consists of the following:
- A cover letter from the lead nominator providing the rationale for nomination and a description of the nominee’s contribution(s),
- Up to two (2) letters of support from colleagues / peers. Please note:
- A letter of support signed by multiple individuals counts as one (1) letter towards the total.
- If the lead nominator is not the nominee’s manager or supervisor, one supporting letter must be from the nominee’s manager or supervisor (or higher).
- A brief description of your nominee that could be used for publishing online should the nomination be successful; not more than two (2) paragraphs in length.
Letters should not exceed two (2) pages in length each.
Please do not submit more than the required number of documents and supporting letters. The selection committee will not consider supplementary documents as part of the nomination package.
Nomination Deadline: 5:00 p.m. on Friday, May 6, 2022.
Please submit nomination packages electronically through the True Blue Recognition Platform.
A button for the SVP Staff Award will appear when “Nominate” is selected under the “Recognize” header.
Please enter the nomination letter, supporting letters, and brief description into the appropriate text fields using the online form.
Please note that attachments cannot be included with submissions.
Should you require assistance with your submission, please contact the Recognition & Engagement Team at email@example.com.
Tips for Completing the Nomination Form
In completing the nomination submission, please:
- Be specific by providing examples and the details of what your nominee has done to meet or exceed the selection criteria.
- Be intentional in how you frame your nomination. Not every nominee will demonstrate achievements in all award criteria. Use your nomination to intentionally identify the criteria where your nominee has made a demonstrable impact and provide evidence to support your nomination.
- Avoid general statements such as: “the nominee has a pleasant personality,” “the nominee is a seasoned professional,” or “the nominee is always helpful” in your submission.
- Include as much qualitative and quantitative information as you can about the nominee’s work and contributions.
- Avoid the use of uncommon or undefined acronyms in the description of your nominee’s work and contributions.
Please see our guide How to Write an Impactful Award Nomination for additional details.
The Selection Committee is chaired by the Vice-President, People Strategy, Equity & Culture or their designate. Each Vice-President in Simcoe Hall and the Secretary of Governing Council will be invited to participate on the selection committee or select a designate at the CAO (or equivalent) level.
The Selection Committee will meet in Spring 2022 to discuss nomination packages and select the SVP Staff Award recipients.
Each winning nominee shall receive:
- A Simcoe Hall Vice-Presidential Staff Award Framed Certificate,
- 1,250 True Blue Points redeemable for prizes on the True Blue Recognition Platform, and
- An invitation to a luncheon with the Simcoe Hall Vice-Presidents or their designates and the lead nominators for each winner.
(Please note: The luncheon will be scheduled when permitted and in accordance with the appropriate regulations and public health guidelines).
- Artur Cane, Director, Principal Gifts, University Development
- Arlene Clement, Director, Housing Service, Division of Student Life
- Kate Enros, Executive Director, Academic Life & Faculty Relations, Office of the Vice-President & Provost
- Theodore Fritz, Assistant Director, Sexual Violence Investigations, Office of Safety & High Risk
- Clare Gilderdale, Special Projects Officer, Office of the Vice-President & Provost
- Andrea M.K. Gill, Research Equity & Development Strategist, Research Services Office
- Jodie Glean, Executive Director, Equity, Diversity & Inclusion, Office of the Vice-President, People Strategy, Equity & Culture
- Peter Sverko, Meeting Room Technology Coordinator, Enterprise Applications & Solutions Integration
- Toks Weah, Special Projects Officer, Office of the Vice-President & Provost
Please contact the Employee Recognition and Engagement Team if you have questions about the program or need assistance developing or submitting your nomination.